Appeal a DVLA fine

You might be able to appeal a fine that you got for:

  • not taxing or insuring your vehicle
  • not telling DVLA you no longer have the vehicle

Reasons you can appeal

You can appeal to DVLA if you have proof that you:

  • taxed your vehicle
  • had insurance for your vehicle
  • already told DVLA you’re no longer the vehicle’s keeper

Your proof (for example, an acknowledgement letter from DVLA) must be dated before the offence.

You can’t appeal if you:

  • changed your address but didn’t tell DVLA
  • lost your paperwork or you never received a reminder from DVLA
  • forgot or were away when you had to tax, insure or register your vehicle as off the road (SORN)
  • missed a Direct Debit payment because of a problem with your bank

You must pay the fine as soon as possible if you don’t have a valid reason.

You can pay online for vehicle tax and SORN fines, but you must pay all other fines by phone or post. Your letter will tell you how to pay.

If you don’t pay the fine your vehicle could be clamped or crushed, your details passed to a debt collection agency, or you could be taken to court.

How to appeal

The letter you got from DVLA saying you’ve been fined will tell you how to appeal and how long you have.

If you’ve lost your letter you can appeal by writing to DVLA:

DVLA Enforcement Centre 
SA99 1AH 

You must include your vehicle’s registration number.

What happens next

DVLA will contact you after they’ve got your appeal to tell you what will happen next.